In this blog, I will be covering basic and optional components of Openstack nodes deployment. I will be setting up virtualbox and networking.
We can divide the deployment in three Nodes:
- Controller node
- Network node
- Compute node
Controller nodes: This contain the following service and components
Basic components: These components are mandatory for deployment.For Openstack deployment we need some of the supporting services as well.
- Supporting services: Database (MySQL or MariaDB) and Message Broker (RabbitMQ or Qpid)
- Basic Services: Identity(keystone),Image Service(Glance),Networking (Neutron),Dashboard (Horizon)
- Optional Services: Block Storage (Cinder),Object Storage (Swift),Database Service (Trove Management),Orchestration (Heat), Telemetry (Celometer Core)
Network node: This provides network as service. This has ML2 plug-in,Layer 2 agent(OVS),Layer 3 agent and Dhcp agent
Compute node:This has hyvervisor (KVM/Qemu ) and layer 2 networking service (OVS).
Installing virutalbox :Download virtualbox at:https://www.virutalbox.org/wiki/Downloads
After Deploying virtualbox ,perform below networking setup
- vboxnet0- Openstack management network -host static 10.10.10.1/24
- vboxnet1- VM conf.network -host static IP 10.20.20.1/24
- vboxnet2-VM external network access (host machine) 192.168.100.1/24
In next series of blog I will be deploying components and vm.
In this series of blogs, I will be explaining of openstack. I will be deploying openstack on my laptop (ubuntu), will be mentioning all the steps.
Openstack is a cloud ecosystem that controls large pool of storage,compute and networking resources throughout a datacenter. This is all managed with a dashboard that gives the administration control. Openstack is an opensource project,which has developed by opensource community.
Following are the components in Openstack:
- Identity Service “Keystone”
- Image Service “Glance”
- Compute Service “Nova”
- Networking “Neutron”
- Dashboard “Horizon”
- Block Storage “Cinder”
- Object Storage “Swift”
- Orchestration “Heat”
- Telemetry “Ceilometer”
Before we start deployment few of the analogy must be cleared:
- Host Operating system (host): OS which is installed on your laptop/desktop, where we will install our virtualbox or any other virtualization software.
- Guest Operating system (Guest): The OS which is installed in virtualbox environment. This is virtual instance independent of Host OS.
- Compute node: Requires hypervisor (KVM/Qemu).
- Network node: Provides network as a service and virtual network in openstack.
Virtual Machine Sever minimum requirements:
- Controller Node: 1 CPU,2 GB memory and 5 GB storage
- Network Node: 1 CPU,512 MB memory and 5 GB storage
- Compute Node: 1 CPU, 2 GB memory and 10 GB storage
Next series of blogs, I will be explaining basic components,network requirement and virtual box deployment.